Past version: effective from 01/08/2016 - 31/01/2017
To view other versions open the versions tab on the right
(1) In GEN Rule 2.2.2
Insurance Intermediation means:
(a) advising on a
Contract of Insurance;
(b) acting as agent for another
Person in relation to the buying or selling of a Contract of Insurance for that other Person;
(c) making arrangements with a view to another
Person, whether as principal or agent, buying a Contract of Insurance; or
(d) operating an
Insurance Aggregation Site.
(2) In (1)(a), 'advising' means giving advice to a
Person in his capacity as a Policyholder, or in his capacity as agent for a Policyholder on the merits of his entering into a Contract of Insurance whether as principal or agent.
(3) In (2), 'advice' includes a statement, opinion or report:
(a) where the intention is to influence a
Person, in making a decision, to select a Contract of Insurance or insurance cover; or
(b) which could reasonably be regarded as being intended to have such influence.
(4) The arrangements in (1)(c) include arrangements which do not bring about the transaction.
(5) The arrangements in (1)(c) do not include arrangements of the kind described in GEN Rule 2.26.1 that constitute marketing.
(6) The arrangements in (1)(c) do not include the mere provision of information about:
Contract of Insurance, insurer, insurance intermediary or insurance manager to a Policyholder; or
Policyholder to an insurer, insurance intermediary or insurance manager,
Person providing that information does not take any further steps to assist in concluding the Contract of Insurance.